The Ampersand Hotel: Discovery & Wonder
Opening in August of this year in the heart of London's museum district, South Kensington, The Ampersand Hotel is simultaneously grounded in history and ultra-modern. In an exclusive to The Appointment, the General Manager, Roberto Pajares and Human Resources Manager, Bushra Masood, explain the hotel's case as an employer of choice.
How would you describe the working culture you're looking to create at The Ampersand Hotel?
• Cosmopolitan - combination of different cultures/backgrounds
• Respectful - responsibility to each other and guests
• Passionate - believe in the product and team
How would you say the work environment / culture differs from the traditional hotel model?
• Independence - sense of individuality
• The sense of ownership and responsibility
• The opportunity to think for yourself (and challenge the status quo)
What systems/programmes will The Ampersand have for developing its employees?
Personalised training and development plans tailored to individual needs:
• Regular feedback, coaching & mentoring
• Appraisals are designed based on different departments and roles
• In-house and external training courses
• Cross trainings
• "Two way Feedback process"
• In charge of "Your Own" career path
What benefits do you see these yielding for the individual employees?
• Greater control over their own personal development
• Empowered to think for themselves
• Support and guidance to develop long term career objectives
Please provide examples of how you envisage team members progressing up through the ranks at The Ampersand.
We are looking for ambitious people with vivacious personalities who want to be part of our opening team...there will be opportunities to progress into supervisory and assistant managerial roles across all departments.
What are the most important qualities you look for in your prospective employees?
• Experience/potential to do the job.
In a sentence, what are The Ampersand's credentials as an employer of choice?
An independently 'minded', customer-focused, luxury boutique hotel that 'thinks differently' and gives people the freedom to make decisions.